A brief (but concise) description of the Bedlam Cycle

I would like to take this moment to explain a key reason why the Bedlam on Baltic Avenue is how it is. That reason is the Bedlam Cycle, an emotional roller-coaster highlighted by neutral, leading anger leading to sadness, leading to neutral, leading to happiness, leading to neutral, leading to anger, and again. A key component to starting and restarting the cycle is my local teams failing miserably, as well as some other unfavorable news. Here is an example.
NEUTRAL - Watching Super League Championship. Belmont Shore ends up losing in sudden death overtime, 31-28. I punch the TV in frustration. Mom protests the choice I made, and it becomes a full blown argument.
ANGER - I am incensed not only at Belmont Shore's defeat, but at the ineptitude of my other local teams I follow, as well as my mom's uncanny inability to listen to what I tell her. It runs in the family: there is ALWAYS something wrong with our ears, be in intentionally or unintentionally (which really is intentionally disguised as unintentionally, but you get the bloody point).
SADNESS - My mom, naturally, talks the same inept lecture garbage that falls on deaf ears because she knows that it really won't mean much when the cycle next starts again. Why waste breath, mom? The answer: because she doesn't have much time to go, so might as well do it. Pffft.
NEUTRAL - Time passes, and I blog the fact that just about all our local teams were terrible (Belmont, the LA Galaxy, the Long Beach State Dirtbags...although there were some lucky ones like the Sparks today). Intern work at the Bar Foundation
HAPPINESS - I get to work at the polls again on June 3rd.
NEUTRAL - More regular office intern work, some more routine things, etc. Cue any bad news coming out of my teams to restart that cycle.


This isn't any made-up junk either. It DOES happen. I kid you not. And there is no point in me stopping this cycle, because-let me tell you this straight up-it would be useless to do so.

No comments: