2channel Anime Saimoe 2013: Will the Madoka Hype die down?


2channel Anime Saimoe 2013: Will the Madoka Hype die down?
No expectations set for Homura Akemi to become a major contender next year

By Jo-Ryan Salazar
November 24, 2013

Saimoe Prime Minister-elect Madoka Kaname returned home to her family on Sunday afternoon to celebrate her win over Sayaka Miki in the General Election for the coveted office on Saturday. The position is a ceremonial one, which involves participating in a series of functions involving other moekkos and top government officials and is flexible to allow other events to take place, such as classes and other occasions. Kaname defeated Miki 277-191 in a match that saw one of the lowest turnouts ever seen in an election.

The only member of the Puella Magi Holy Quintet failing to qualify for the finals in Homura Akemi, who has a following in her own right but will be severely weakened due to the success of Kaname, Miki, Mami Tomoe and Kyouko Sakura. In fact, Akemi does not see herself as a major player to succeed Kaname.

"I'm already a Stella candidate in the International Saimoe League and I am the strongest of all the Puella Magi Party there," Akemi said. "I feel I have a better chance at performing well next year in the ISML than the 2channel Anime Saimoe Tournament, so this tournament that just finished is not my highest priority.

"Don't get me wrong; in fact, I love this tournament and I want to do well next year. However, some voters may not have been impressed with how I handled the situation with Madoka weeks ago, and it was chronicled by many people here.

"I have bigger issues to worry about, and I am pretty well aware of them. The good thing is that my intervention is not necessary at this point. This way, I can focus on qualifying for ISML next year and see if I can improve on my results.

"If you were to ask me the future of this tournament, it needs to continue, but it must be restructured to allow for better security of voting and the rules must be set in stone before the process begins. Anything changed in the middle of the tournament will compromise its credibility beyond repair.

"I think the event organizers need to absorb the blow and start preparing the process for next year's Anime Saimoe Tournament. The Saimoe movement cannot end with this year's race. Also, they must open voting to foreigners once again. This way, the races can become more competitive and exciting.

"It's something that is possible and reasonable. But the event organizers must put it to work. They must put the wheels in motion."

As for the International Saimoe League, a special exhibition tournament is taking place from Nov. 17 through Dec. 12. Keep it here with the Bedlam on Baltic Avenue for continuing coverage of the International Saimoe League and the 2channel Anime Saimoe Tournament.

No comments: