ISML 2013: Double Upset Special for Kyouko, Mirai



ISML 2013: Double Upset Special for Kyouko, Mirai
Kirigiri takes Summer Diadem, Kuriyama takes Autumn diadem

By Jo-Ryan Salazar
The Bedlam on Baltic Avenue
December 7, 2013

In what can be describes as a night of upsets, Match Day 9 of the 2013 International Saimoe League Bonus Exhibition saw two major upsets take place. In the Summer Diadem final, Kyouko Kirigiri defeated Noire 3696-3056 to prevail, while Mirai Kuriyama upset Mitsuki Nase 3514-3067 to take the Autumn Diadem.

The Summer Diadem final was an example of the rift in Saimoe taste between Japan and the rest of the world. Noire won Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonedia, Malaysia and Singapore but failed to win anythign else. Kirigiri's bigger victories came in China and Latin America.

The Autumn Diadem was more of the same rift between Japan and the world. Nase won Japan, Korea, Russia, Easter Europe and Canada, but Kuriyama took the rest of the regions, performing relatively well in Africa, Vietman and the Philippines.

"It's a good victory for me, but it will mean nothing if I don't qualify next year for the regular season," Kirigi said via phone interview. "I will be surprised if Noire is given an opportunity in the Nova next season."

"I think I've made a good impression on the voters and I want to make an even bigger impact next year," Kuriyama said via phone interview in Tokyo. "This Diadem victory is a good one, but I will have my work cut out for me in Preliminaries next season."

Match Day 10 of the 2013 International Saimoe League Bonus Exhibition is scheduled for December 8, 2013. Vote for your favorite characters at InternationalSaimoe.com and join the ongoing debate.


No comments: