Quick hits, February 4, 2010

Tonight I went to the SHORTSTOP 15th Anniversary Celebration at Gazzella Restaurant in Downtown Long Beach. The scene was great, and I had some pasta and Cabernet Sauvignon. What was also great was the testimonial by a graduate of the program. After his speech, which was about stealing a CD at a Best Buy, he got the CD that he wanted.

To be honest with you, if I was him, I would be familiar with torrents, and grabbed the album there instead. Why go to a store for music if the thing is available online for free. This is why the technology known as bittorent is considered (at least in my view) a godsend for those living on the cheap. But then again, it became a win-win situation. He learned about the system, passed the program, got his CD, and now is committed not to get in trouble with the law again. And the Long Beach Bar Foundation continues to roll. So I'm not one to say that it was a bad idea in the end.

---

As a matter of fact, it was a VERY wise decision for me to be at the dinner. Long Beach State flat-out embarrassed themselves on national TV, the women's hoops team stunk even more, and the women's water polo team are playing like hopeless chunks of rotten cheese under Gavin Arroyo. Fucking embarrassing performance by the Beach. You should be ashamed of yourselves, all three of you.

No comments: