What a way to wake up, eh?

There are athletic sites, and there are athletic sites that deserve major lulz. Exposed!

So I came back from Smorgasport on campus, and a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Oklahoma at George Allen Field, and when I got back to my laptop (it was downloading some torrents while I was away), I saw the score: Lakewood 40, Mayfair 3.

Now, at first, I wasn’t so sure if Lakewood was going to be able to be focused, after the ignominious start to the year. But I can deduce three reasons why Lakewood wanted this game:

  1. They are 0-2. Well, they were 0-2. But I had a gut feeling that if this was how they would play, they might go winless. I do not remember a season in which my high school’s football team actually suffered a winless season. Those guys didn’t want to see that, either.
  2. The game against Tesoro was a tail of two halves. We were up 21-10 at the break, and as the guys took the field for the second half, I warned, “Hey, 21-10 is not a good-enough lead. You gotta add to it, because that can be made up in a hurry.” It pays to listen. Apparently, they didn’t, and the Titans won, 24-21. I could imagine Coach Thadd MacNeal not being the least bit happy with the performance, and I could also imagine him yelling it to their faces. (I shouldn’t go into detail with the bus ride that followed, but to keep it short: you can’t tell me that there aren’t any nappy-headed ho’s who operated the coaches on Long Beach Transit. That means someone close to you lied, straight up. They must be fish-slapped, immediately. In the groin.)
  3. Mayfair wrested the Milk Bucket away from them last year. That had to leave a bad taste in Lakewood’s mouths, and they wanted that back.

Apparently, Mayfair coach Mike Fitch wasn’t ready for what his Monsoons were going to be up against. They were facing an angry, frustrated, hell-bent Lancer football team looking for answers, and someone to smack the devil down on. MaxPreps predicted that Mayfair would defend their trophy.

This is clear proof why statistics should be burned at the stake when it comes to these rivalry games, because they are meaningless.

Let’s see if this blowout over the Monsoons will get them ready for a shot at evening their records against La Palma Kennedy.

No comments: