Kentucky: 2022 Citrus Bowl Champions



ORLANDO – The entire story of Kentucky’s dramatic 20-17 come-from-behind victory over Iowa in the Citrus Bowl on New Year’s Day could be summed up in one stark image.


Minutes into a post-game press conference with coach Mark Stoops and offensive stalwarts Will Levis and Wan'Dale Robinson, in hobbled linebacker DeAndre Square.


Sporting crutches, barefoot, and still in uniform and pads, the linebacker who sealed the victory with a last-second interception made his way to the front of the room. The reverence from the three Kentucky alpha males at the table was palpable as Stoops excused himself from the room and Levis slid over a seat so that Square could ease into a chair.


Square wasn’t just the hero of the day. He is the epitome of Kentucky’s football program – gritty, determined, never-say-die.


Square, you see, was one of just a few linebackers available to Kentucky for the Citrus Bowl. Leading tackler Jacquez Jones was out as was standout freshman Trevin Wallace. D'Eryk Jackson, who just returned from ACL surgery, was forced into the starting lineup along with Square.


But then Square became injured, the linebacker corps was officially decimated, and Iowa came roaring back to take a 17-13 lead in the fourth quarter. All appeared lost.


“DeAndre got hurt, but he knew he couldn't come out,” Stoops said. “We were getting thin, and the way he played through that pain, I don't know how he did it. It just says a lot about this team.”


Square, in fact, was officially ruled out of action. Trainer Gabe Amponsah had taken his helmet. But then teammate Marquan McCall, UK’s massive nose guard, entered the picture.


“I was in a lot of pain still,” Square confessed, “but Marquan helped me out a lot. I was ruled out, and I was kind of debating on, I was like, okay. I am trying to wait for certain stuff to kick in. But Marquan grabbed me. He like yanked me and was like, ‘We need you.’ And then something clicked at that moment.


“I told Gabe to give me my helmet,” Square said. “He was like, ‘No, we got to see you run first.’ And when I ran I didn't feel any pain. I just could run, so I grabbed my helmet.”


Square needed just one play for a dose of reality.


“First play,” he said, “I was like, ‘No, this hurts.’”


He stayed in the game for a lot of reasons.


“It was a lot of emotion because I was ruled out. I wasn't even supposed to come back in,” Square said. “But coach Stoops had talked about doing something bigger than yourself, and all I could think about is my teammates. I saw the way the game was going, and I just felt like I needed to step in no matter how I was feeling. We got a lot of days of rest. I can rest up, so I didn't care.”


Throughout Square’s description, Levis was shaking his head in a combination of disbelief and pride.


“It takes a lot of heart to do something like that,” Levis said, voice cracking. “It is kind of like a storybook ending. He gets ruled out, goes back in there. To go back out there, not only just to play, but to get the game-stealing interception. You make an acrobatic play like that? Just a storybook ending. I am so happy for him and he deserves all the recognition.”


The question was posed: Who had the better catch, Square’s interception or Robinson’s diving grab on third-and-26? The offensive guys pointed at Square in unison.


“I was in coverage,” Square said. “Once I look back, I saw the running back, and I am like, ‘Oh, wow. If he catches it, I am going to have to make a tough tackle. I wasn't even looking at the ball, and I saw something flying and I am like, 'Whoa, there is the ball.’ I was like, ‘OK, do I just let it fall or am I close enough to catch it? I am like, I am close enough to catch it.’ So I just get under and it fit right in the pocket. I didn't have to do anything. It fit perfectly.”


A storybook ending indeed.

No comments: