Another article I wrote for the 49er

I wrote this one during the first issue of the 49er during the beginning of this fall semester. Feels like ages since I wrote this.
"It's in your blood."

I have been a student at Long Beach State for more than two years and, after seeing two seasons of success, big victories and bigger memories for our teams, I can be proud to say that the concept of Beach Pride is coursing through my veins.

The tradition, the history and commitment for those who believe in The Beach is something that flows in me because I believe that it plays a huge role in what this university has to offer. These are aside from, of course, a great value, great professors and an awesome drummer-turned-Associated Students, Inc. president in Mark Andrews.

For many freshmen and transfers, this may be the first newspaper you picked up or the first time you have heard of Beach Pride. Let me explain to you what Beach Pride is all about.

First, you cannot find something like this at any other university. You won't find it at any university that has a beach next to it. What other university's athletics teams have the word "Beach" in them? None! That's why you can only find Beach Pride here.

Secondly, you can find Beach Pride at work during our home athletic events. Whether it's at the pool, at George Allen Field, the softball complex, The Walter Pyramid or Blair Field, you can count on seeing your fellow students cheering for the 49ers and Dirtbags, letting out a hearty "GO BEACH!" as you step on the battlegrounds.

Finally, there are those who can feel it once they step on campus. When I transferred from Long Beach City College a few years ago, I felt great vibes, a unique air and feeling as I passed through Maxson Plaza on Beach Drive, the Friendship Walk and all over campus.

Those vibes and that air and feeling, do you know what that is? It's Beach Pride, a unique feeling you can never find anywhere else. It grows on you and never dies. And once it's in your blood, you won't want to be anyplace else.

So, on behalf of those who believe in The Beach, I welcome you to this campus. For those who are returning, welcome back. And I hope to see you at the games. Go Beach!

No comments: