2channel Anime Saimoe 2013: Hope Springs Eternal!


2channel Anime Saimoe 2013: Hope Springs Eternal!
Madoka Kaname defeats Sayaka Miki to win Saimoe Prime Minister's Office

By Jo-Ryan Salazar
November 23, 2013

Bells were ringing and fireworks lit up the skies of Tokyo and Mitakihara Town as Madoka Kaname defeated Sayaka Miki 277-191 to win the Saimoe Prime Minister's Office for the 2014 session. Kaname will be sworn in on New Year's Eve at the end of the year.

"She did it! She did it!" exclaimed an anonymous supporter, crying tears of joy. "I can die happy now! I regret nothing! My goddess now rules this country! I have nothing to fear!"

"This an exciting day for Mitakihara Town," said another Kaname supporter, wiping away tears. "We will never forget this day, for as long as we live. Mitakihara salutes our Goddess of Hope!"

"It was an expected result," said Mami Tomoe via phone. Tomoe had won the office two years ago and finished sixth in the race overall this year. "I think Miki-san is content that she finished runner-up to a deserving winner. I am confident Kaname-san can lead this country forward. We are proud of her."

"I think Madoka will do an amazing job leading Japan forward next year and she plans to collaborate with Tokyo 2020 on their initiatives to make the Olympics successful," Miki said via phone interview. "I'm happy with this result. Even though I finished runner-up, I believed that Madoka deserved to win."

Kaname and her wife, Homura Akemi, were unavailable for comment because they were flying back to Mitakihara to relax and rest, presumably at Akemi's residence. Akemi will assume the Saimoe Deputy Prime Minister position next year.

"You knew that Madoka was going to win it, no doubt," Kyouko Sakura said via videoconference from the bus returning to Mitakihara. "Everyone knew it was going to happen. It just needed that final push and it would be over like that. So we have someone with a big, pure heart and good, brave intentions leading the way and the one that controls everything is her right-hand woman. This country's in good hands."

"I think Madoka-san is going to do a great job because she's a nice person and brings a smile to my face," Nagisa Momoe said. "I can't dislike her. I like what she stands for and her message. I want Madoka-san to do her best. We're with you all the way, Madame Prime Minister Madoka-san!"

"This country's going to be in excellent hands because she shares the same beliefs I stand for as the leader of my country," said President of the United States Barack Obama. "Her platform is on hope and progress and she is an inspiration to the people she is with. I think she will do a wonderful job standing tall with the people of Japan."

"We are happy for Kaname-san because her message resonated with the people," said Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe. "I look forward to working with her to make this country successful next year. No one represents the true essence of Japanese popular culture like Kaname-san. I hope she does her best."

"I called for it before the polls opened," Toki Onjouji, the outgoing Saimoe Prime Minister, said via phone interview. "It would be a slow start, and the race would be close, but near the end, the match would be decided, and the neutral voters will have pushed Madoka over the top. I congratulate Madoka and I think she will make Japan proud."

"Me and Ayase were the two candidates that tested Madoka," said International Saimoe League champion Ruri Gokou, who finished fifth overall in the race in Japan. "Ayase was the only one that won, but she would receive her comeuppance. I think I really had the best chance to upset her but once I found out I lost, this race was hers to lose.

"I look forward to working with her on ways to improve the Saimoe movement in Japan and abroad."

This historic result means that four of the five members of the Puella Magi Holy Quintet have placed top two at least once, with Akemi being the lone exception. In addition, with her third-place finish and victory on Saturday night, Madoka Kaname becomes the most accomplished contestant in the history of the 2channel Anime Saimoe Tournament, which determines who wins the coveted office.


No comments: